So what should you do before getting professional help for your cellphone at Quikfix Cellphone Repair?
Step 1: Cut the power immediately by removing the cellphone battery. While it’s tempting to power up the phone to see if it still works, just turning it on can short out the delicate circuits.
If you have a GSM phone (AT&T and T-Mobile), remove the SIM card as well. If your phone is B.E.R., the SIM card should hold a lot of its info such as your contacts in your phone book.
Dry out your phone FAST. Letting the moisture evaporate naturally you run the danger of corrosion damaging the inside components the longer the moisture remains inside. DO NOT use a hair dryer, the extreme heat can burn up your phone’s component parts. Instead, use a can of compressed air, an air compressor (set at a low PSI) to blow out the water. Conversely you can pull the water out with a wet/dry Shop-Vac. The idea is to push or pull the water back out through the same channels it entered.
Use a desiccant to wick away the remaining moisture. DO NOT USE RICE. While this is the most popular choice, submerging your cellphone in a bowl of rice grains overnight subjects your phone to the rice dust (that can liquefy with the moisture coming out of the phone) and further corrosion hazards. Instead use packets of silica gel that you find stuffed in electronics shipments or inside pockets of new clothes.
DO NOT use hair dryers, ovens, microwave ovens or extended periods of direct sunlight. While heat is great for evaporating moisture, it’s equally efficient at warping components and melting adhesives in your phone. These fragile glues are also why you need to keep rubbing alcohol away from your phone. Alcohol is a solvent, it’s okay on the outside as a disinfectant after a toilet dip, but do not submerge your phone in alcohol.
SEA WATER DAMAGED CELLPHONES
Here’s some advice that might sound counter-intuitive. If your cellphone gets soaked in salt water, flushing the whole thing in fresh water before it dries is recommended by some. Here’s why: It’s already wet, but when the salt water dries, it leaves behind salt crystals that can damage your cell phone’s sensitive components.
NOTE: If you try this, be certain to REMOVE your cell phone battery before flooding the device with fresh water.